Every child needs a team

When I was little I had HORRIBLE handwriting. It was not cute. When I was in second grade my teacher sat me down to have a quick one on one chat. She didn't start out by telling me that I had awful handwriting and needed to fix it. She instead said that she had something that she wanted us to work on together. I don't remember her exact words but I do remember how she made me feel that day. She made me feel like we were a team, and that as a team we were going to work hard so that I could have neater, nicer handwriting.

And it worked! I left that little student teacher conference so excited to work on my handwriting! Today I would like to think I have pretty nice handwriting. At least I hope I do, since I regularly teach small humans how to form their letters.


The point of the story isn't about my handwriting. It's about a teacher who empowered a little girl to be better. It's about how she took the time to help me improve. I was a pretty smart kid in the second grade (I read at an 8th grade level and really only ever struggled with spelling... which I still struggle with... but it's okay because spell check) Yet my teacher didn't just write me off as another kid who would easily be at grade level by the end of the year. She took the time to find something I could do better at, and helped me be excited to do it.

A few weeks ago I was working with a few littles in my class one on one. I called over this little girl. I asked her to count to 100 for me. (which is one of our standards for kindergarten) She started out okay but didn't have a lot of confidence. She would get to the end of a set of ten (29, 39, 49) and pause like she wasn't sure what came next. I gave her some encouraging nods and a few your doing greats! She eventually got to 100 on her own. I told her I was so proud of her and excited because she would get to take her 100 Hero award home with her! (it's an award I hand out in my class when the kids pass off counting to 100 by 10s and 1's)

At first I wasn't sure if I should give her the award. She seemed a little unsure when she was counting, but I figured I had only helped her such a small amount that I would give her the award.

The next day this same little one came running up to me as she got off the bus to inform me that she had been practicing counting to 100 the whole way to school! At recess I could hear her counting again, this time with so much more confidence than the day before. I was hit with awe of how excited she was and the confidence she had.

This was such a HUGE reminder to me about the impact we as adults have on these precious little ones we come in contact with. All she needed to be confident in her ability to count to 100 was me being confident in her.

I love my job because I love seeing the joy in a child's eye's when they accomplish something. I love the moment when they understand what you've been trying to teach them for days, or months, and maybe even for years. I love when the child who didn't know a single letter can read me a book or write their name with confidence.

I love when I hear them being good friends to each other, or watch them ask someone who is lonely to play. I love their sneak attack hugs, those moments when I all of a sudden find little arms wrapped around my thighs. I love being a part of their team.

Whether you are a parent, teacher, aunt/uncle, friend, neighbor, these munchkins need us. They need us to believe in them, to encourage them, to remind them that they are so amazing and can accomplish so much!

One of the most heart wrenching moments I've ever had as a teacher was when a little boy I was helping during my reading groups turned to me with tears in his eyes and informed me he couldn't do what I was asking because "I"m just stupid."

As I rushed to assure him that of course he wasn't stupid, he was just working on something that was a little bit hard for him. I was struck by the reminder that even ones that small struggle with feelings of self doubt. They need to be reminded that they have such amazing worth, that they aren't stupid, but that sometimes things are hard. But that if they keep working they CAN do it.

I love getting to be an aunt and a teacher. I love getting to work with some amazing little munchkins! I am honored that I get to be a part of their team.

Love,
Nae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Education? Marriage?

That one time I almost quit my job.

God loves imperfect things